4.09.2009

Where Fashion Meets Canvas

Sisters (Susan and Toni), 1977

Artist Barkley L. Hendricks was born in Philadelphia, trained at the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts and Yale University and now works in New London, Connecticut. He is best known for his life-size portraits of people of color living in urban areas in the 1960s and 70s. There was recently a showing of his work at the Studio Museum in Harlem.

I caught my first glimpse of this artist's work in ARTFORUM Magazine (Apr. '09 issue). It wasn't his use of color or technique that held my attention but indeed the fashion worn by the artist's subjects. It could be argued that Hendricks is not only an artist but also a recorder a fashion history. I mean check out the details of the items worn by the subjects.

(Click on any picture for larger size and more detail)


Sir Charles, Alias Willie Harris, 1972


George Jules Taylor, 1972


Bashir (Robert Gowens), 1975



2 comments:

Betty said...

These are all mind blowing! The George Jules one is my fav.
hot hot hot!

charlie Brown said...

Seneca. you're winning me! this is hot.